Tuesday

A Wild Ride...



Hold onto you hats, Clare Revell fans, because WEDNESDAY'S CHILD is a wild ride. One that takes us out of Headley Cross, and halfway around the world to Africa. But not just for fun because there are mysteries to solve and sinister forces afoot. All of which will keep you turning pages right up to the end.

That's not all, however, because Ms. Revell is up to her usual abilities to give heroine, Jacqui Dorne, a delightfully interesting job all by itself. Oh, yes, and if you are wondering how she comes up with so many of these diverse occupations, see the interview following this review ( I just had to ask).   Anyway, Jacqui is a landscape artist who is as good at what she does as what she believes.

Which brings me to what I like best about any Clare Revell novel, and that's the little bits of spiritual wisdom woven throughout. I say wisdom because it's always something that one can readily apply to our own “ordinary” lives. Something that makes WEDNESDAY'S CHILD (in my opinion) one of the best forms of pure entertainment there is. Along the romance variety. Just right for a quick getaway, and one I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Here's what it's all about...

Wednesday's Child grieves for his soul...

Liam Page, school teacher and ex-missionary, is a man with a secret agenda. Revenge. But when he says it with flowers, and accidentally drenches a woman who just happens to be the school's landscape architect, he may have found a light in his darkness.

After an abusive relationship, Jacqui Dorne prefers work to men. It's safer. But Liam Page with his boyish charm and wounded soul, manages to change her preferences. Has God led her to Liam to help him heal?

When their growing relationship is marred by the reappearance of Jacqui's ex-boyfriend, they find themselves suddenly embroiled in a series of dangerous events which leads them to Africa and has them fighting for both love and life.


Now, for a chat with Clare...

Clare Revell
Hello, and welcome back, Clare! OK... where in the world do you come up with so many interesting and diverse vocations for your main characters to have? 

Good question, Lilly. Short answer is, I have no idea. 

You're kidding.

Well, sort of. The truth is, sometimes from TV programmes I watch. Or, maybe while I'm writing something else, and one of the secondary characters will interrupt long enough to demand a book of their own.

Ah-ha. But I think you must have your antenna tuned for the especially quirky ones because they're all so unusual. For instance, did you have any personal interest in landscape artists before you wrote WEDNESDAY'S CHILD? Was there a particular moment that gave you that idea? 

Home of the
"great escape"
Actually, that one had its first draft a while ago, when PBG (has a great discount book club) ran a competition in which the hero was a teacher and the heroine a landscape architect. I'd never heard of them--always assumed they were just gardeners. But once I did a little research, Jacqui (who changed names several times), took on a life of her own.

I'll say she did, look how far she went from Headley Cross. Not to mention what she discovered about herself along the way. Something that reminds me how much these jobs are always a great fit for the actual plot of your stories. What usually comes to you first... the personality, the vocation, or the plot? 

In this instance the vocations came first. But normally, the plot happens first. Then the lead characters pick their names, and the jobs just seem to follow on.

Thank heaven, because with you being such a prolific writer, things could get confusing. Do you have some system for organizing ideas and plotting out future novels? Or do you simply carry it all around in your head? 

It's how I organize my head, actually, because if I don't write I go insane. But here's a sort of system I've come up with. I write a basic blurb for each idea, then out comes my stack of notecards. On them go the book title, hero, heroine (with a brief description of the job), and family history. Now, I may never include that the hero has a great aunt called Edith, but then you never know... 

Next in the series
Which is exactly what I enjoy about picking up one of your novels, Clare. I never know what I'm going to find in there! It's been great having a peek behind the scenes, today, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you how much I'll be looking forward to THURSDAY'S CHILD when it comes out.

Thank you, Lilly.

My pleasure. Have time for a bit of Seaweed Tea before you  go?

Hmm... I don't know, I've never tried any.

Well, personally, I've had to make a lot of changes since moving onto a boat. How about I file your opinion of it away for our next chat? Along with if you decide to opt in on the Mermaid Cakes I baked, this morning, to go along with it. 

I would have to be honest, of course.

One of the things I like best about you, Ms. Revell... the very best!


2 comments:

  1. thank you so much for having me here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Clare, as always. I don't mind saying I keep getting these feelings that I would like to visit Headley Cross, next time I "cross the pond." Then I realize it would be a real treasure hunt trying to find it. But you know how much I love treasure hunts!

      Delete